Friday, May 11, 2012

Math


After watching the pilot episode of a TV show called Touch, I couldn't help but ask myself, is the universe  made of math?  How the hell should I know?  BUT THEN!  I thought of my cosmic pal, Stephanie and figured she could give me a good answer on this one.  Of course she did.  :)



 



Math is just a language to try and explain the universe.  There’s lots of kinds of math (geometry, non-Euclidean geometry, trigonometry, algebra, calculus, linear algebra, probability, …) and lots of sub-languages.  Some of the different sub-languages work well together, some are hard to relate.

Since most people (me included) will never understand the math needed to talk about the universe at the level of subtlety required to really poke at its underbelly, we are forced to believe what the Math Shamans tell us.

But we can think about (and construct new) concepts as theoretical mathematicians and possibly drive the number crunchers to devise a new math to test the voracity of our claims.

My next book will deal with prime numbers and their relationship to music (harmonics, tension, frequency, and trigonometry). 

If anyone has worked with the Riemann Hypothesis (Zeta Function), please contact me.
In mathematics, the Riemann hypothesis, proposed by Bernhard Riemann (1859), is a conjecture about the location of the nontrivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function which states that all non-trivial zeros (as defined below) have real part 1/2. The name is also used for some closely related analogues, such as the Riemann hypothesis for curves over finite fields.





No comments:

Post a Comment